Tuesday, March 2, 2010

In the Light

I love DC Talk's song, "In the Light" which speaks of living life in the light of God, since he is the light. This imagery of light versus darkness can be found in 1 John 1:5-7: "God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin."

I have always enjoyed the contrast of light and dark in relation to God and the world, but after writing a paper on Boethius I am even more enthralled by the imagery. I HIGHLY encourage you to read Boethius at some point.. he has so much truth to offer!


My paper explored a poem in Boethius's Consolation of Philosophy that heavily uses the imagery of light to explain that true happiness is only found in God. Reflected light represents the things of this world that appear to bring happiness to man, but in reality are only shadows of the true happiness found in God. One line states that the light of God is the "splendor that guides and moves the heavens." What a wonderful description! In the end, the poem shows that man must develop the ability to distinguish between the reflected light and the light of God. In my own life I need to recognize that though these things of the world can bring comfort and entertainment, ultimately I can never be fulfilled/happy (eudaimonia for all you Greek scholars) unless I recognize that knowledge of God brings that fulfillment to my life.

I don't know about you, but as for me, I want to be in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment